Friday, February 02, 2007

Mind the Gap

Next week AWY will endure a short hiatus while I enjoy a long-planned vacation in Jamaica. In my experience, poems written during such trips tend to resemble the palm tree-busy art you bring back to hang in your living room; what seemed stunningly beautiful there just looks embarrassingly out of place here. Nonetheless, between Red Stripes I intend to do at least a little writing to keep up my momentum. I swear I will keep the mango, rasta and reef references subtle. Mega-resorts and tourists are totally fair game, though I hope to avoid both as much as possible.

Those of you who are Chicagoans and need a lit fix in AWY's absence would do well to check out Kim Addonizio's pre-Valentine's Day reading next week. I haven't read much of her newer work, but I'm a fan of her violent and lovely 2000 collection Tell Me. Details are below.

DATE: Thursday, February 8
TIME: 7 PM
PLACE: The HotHouse (31 East Balbo Ave.)
COST: Free

No comments: