Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Big Red Hearts

Valentine's Day, which of course is one of the few days when poets actually seem useful. Good love poems are hard to write. I'm working on a couple right now, and since I am, and since it's a love-hungry day, I thought I'd mention Isn't It Romantic: 100 Love Poems by Younger American Poets, an especially good collection that Verse Press (now Wave Books) published in 2004. Here's a sample from poet G.E. Patterson, characteristically quiet and careful (for him, I mean -- others in this anthology are not so quiet):
"The Saint's First Wife Said"

I woke to your face not looking at me
but at the bird that settled on your wrist,
lured by food. Its trust, for once, was rewarded.
You offered the bird everything you had.

I remember. That is how it began
with us: You held out your hand; I took it.
Other great poets included are the likes of Nick Flynn, Peter Gizzi, Lisa Jarnot, D.A. Powell, Terrance Hayes, Rebecca Wolff, Kevin Young, etc. All around a nice grouping. Plus (but wait, there's more!) it's accompanied by a CD of love songs by various indie rock all-stars and others.

No comments: